Alas, Soupers enjoy the perfect blend of Indian spices which will warm your house on this otherwise cold February day. If you want serve this as a heartier dish, consider adding some saffron or jasmine rice and serving the stew on top. Enjoy.
Chicken Korma Stew
Prep Time: 1 hr.
Cook Time: 30-45 min.
Serving Size: 6-8 possibly more if you serve over rice
1 package of boneless chicken breast (3.5 lbs)
1 cup of heavy cream
1.5 cups of plain Greek yogurt
12 ozs. of cashews
1/4 cup of Canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups of onion
1-2 tbsps minced garlic
3 tbsps fresh ginger chopped
3 tbsps ground cumin
3 tbsps ground coriander
3-5 tbsps cardamom
3 tbsps turmeric
water as needed
1. Cube chicken into pieces and place into a bowl.
2. Peel and mince fresh garlic and peel and chop 2 tbsps fresh ginger add to bowl with chicken.
3. Blend in yogurt and 2 tsps of ground cardamom into the mixture and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
4. Put cashews into a large bowl and add enough hot water to cover the nuts. Let sit for 30 minutes until softened. Discard water. Then mash cashews to make a paste.
5. While waiting, chop onion, peel and chop remaining ginger.
6. In a large sauce pot, heat Canola oil and add in onions to saute.
7. After onions are translucent, add all the spices pepper, remaining cardamom, coriander, turmeric, salt and cumin and give a hefty stir.
8. Add cashew paste to the mixture.
9. Add chicken mixture from fridge and turn up the heat to medium or medium high and cover. Let set for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
10. After chicken is cooked, add heavy cream and simmer for 10-15 more minutes.
11. Garnish and serve!!